Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Live  CNN  August 22, 2013 9:00pm-10:00pm EDT

9:00 pm
before we go tonight, i want to quickly report the information on the page antoinette tuff set up to help under privileged kids. it's go fund me.com. we're back an hour from now, another edition of 360 with more of antoinette. piers morgan live starts now. this is piers morgan live. welcome to our viewers in the united states and around the world. the hero bookkeeper antoinette tuff who got the georgia school gunman to surrenderer. >> he's a hurting soul, so any kind of way i can help him and allow him to get on the right path, we all go through something and i believe god gives us all a purpose in life and i believe he has a purpose in destiny for that young man, also. >> people ape cross the country are, of course, thanking her.
9:01 pm
she's a true hero. but what do we know about thes is spect, michael brandon hill? we'll talk to his brother. and the school official that first called 911 and the police chief that led negotiations. and hanna anderson. >> there is a hard time and there will be harder times in life, but if i can get through this, i'm sure i can get through more. >> how she survived the alleged kidnapping. her aunts and grandfather speak up for the first time. the thrill kill murder in oklahoma without rage, are the media treat thing story differently because the victim is white? we begin, though, with the big story the georgia gunman that slipped into a school with an ak-47 and ammo. why did michael brandon hill do it? was he thinking. with me now exclusively is the suspect's brother tim hill. thank you for joining me. obviously, incredibly difficult
9:02 pm
time for you, your family and you're brother. let me first ask you when did you hear what happened and where? >> shortly after i got off work -- i can't say shortly. i took me a nap, went home, went out with friends, got a phone call from my sister-in-law telling me that immediately needed to check my facebook. she said that brandon, i'll call him michael, was responsible for the school shooting. >> were you surprised? >> i was a little bit, but over the years of growing up with him it almost seemed like eventually he would do something like this, but not to this magnitude. >> you called him brandon, not michael, right? >> yes, sir. >> so let's call him brandon. you grew up together, you're two years older than him. both your parents sadly died. what was he like as a kid, and when did things go wrong for
9:03 pm
him? >> he was like any other kid. we went out, played outside, played in woods, just did kidly things like everybody, and once he started hitting his teenage years, it -- something happened with him. it -- everything just started changing after doctors started messing with his medicines here and there and changing it up and putting him on a different one and institutionize him to correct his medicine. it just escalated from there. >> he got into criminality, he became violent and dangerous. ten times he was committed for treatment in mental health institutions. i believe all of them involuntary but by psychiatrists, by your parents, whoever. let's go through his escalation in his behavioral pattern. i believe there was an insurance tent in his mid teens when he tried to set fire to the family home with everyone inside.
9:04 pm
>> yes, sir, we -- it was approximately eight people in the house asleep at the time. i just -- i say about an hour, hour and a half before i came home i was laying in my bed trying to go to sleep. just started hearing this awful noise. i couldn't figure out what it was, so finally whenever i walked outside my door it sounded exactly like wood popping, and i went straight to the attic and discovered that the fire -- well, the fire was in the attic. >> he set the fire up to put the house ablaze? >> at that point, we didn't know it was him. we didn't find out it was him until about 6:00 a.m. in the morning. >> he also stood over your parents holding an ax. >> it wasn't an ax. at one point my stepfather and mother having to lock up all the
9:05 pm
knives in the trunk of the car just to protect -- protect everybody in the home. >> because he was threatening to use them? >> he didn't threaten to use them, it's just after they -- after my mom woke up with him standing over her with a butcher knife, it just changed from there. they didn't keep knives in the house no more. >> he also threatened to kill you. >> yes, sir, he did. >> he posted very serious threats on facebook directly at you saying he was going to kill you. >> yes, sir. >> how did that make you feel as his brother? >> i honestly had no words for it, except fear. that's the only thing i can think of. >> did you think he meant it? >> i did. if i didn't, i wouldn't have contacted police. >> the family contacted police about a dozen times, i understand, for various offenses of the nature we've been discussing. nothing was ever really done, was it? either by the mental health
9:06 pm
treatment he had in the ten or so times he was put inside the institutio institutions, by any of the police -- do you feel -- let me ask you this, do you feel angry that the system betrayed your family? >> i'm not angry. i feel like there's just a whole lot more they could have done. i feel like instead of people won't -- like i'll give an example. rich, famous people wanting to reach out to the victims of somebody when they really should be reaching out to people that have mental disorders and that could wind up doing something he did. >> i mean, president obama called antoinette tuff, and i know that you were watching that anderson cooper's show in the green room here and you got angry because you felt that the president should be more focused on the problems that your brother had.
9:07 pm
>> he should be more focused on trying to get to the bottom of what he can help -- how he can help these kids in today's society, instead of calling somebody up just to thank them for what they did. yeah, i'm pretty sure she's been thanked by hundreds and hundreds of people. >> are you grateful to her? >> yes -- >> i mean, effectively she may well have saved your brother's lives and countless children in the school. >> yes, sir, i really am but i honestly did not see it necessary for president obama to call her up when he could have been focussing more on what could be done to prevent things like this. >> let's listen a clip from the 911 call that we played last night. pretty dramatic. listen to what she had to say, an twa in tough. >> it's going to be all right. i want you to know that i love you, know, i'm proud of you. it's a good thing you're giving up. we all go through something in life. you don't want that. you going to be okay.
9:08 pm
i thought the same thing. you know i tried to commit suicide last year after my husband left me. look at me now. i'm still working and everything is okay. >> your brother tried to commit suicide numerous times. >> yes, sir. >> how many would you say? >> too many to count. and i couldn't put a number on it. >> where did he get the gun? he had an ak-47. do you have any idea where he got that? >> my opinion on that, he had to get it off the street, and there -- >> illegally. >> illegally and there's -- i'm pretty sure there's going to be somebody that's going to bring up something about gun laws or this, that and the other with that when in all reality there is no gun law whatsoever, nothing anybody can do or say that's going to prevent somebody that wants to get their hands on a gun to get their hands on a gun. >> is that because there is just too many guns in circulation?
9:09 pm
>> it's not even that. it -- the guns that we have in the united states, majority of them probably didn't come from the united states. they are probably smuggled in from somewhere. >> but i mean, there are 300 million guns in this country and time and again now, it's the same type of mass shooter or in your brother's case potential mass shooter. they all seem to be mentally disturbed young, predominantly white men in their early 20s. you got adam lanza, any number of them, james holmes and others. they are in the same category. what is it do you think that is going on with these kids? is it that can be done to try and stop more of them doing this kind of thing? >> they need to be looked at more closely. they need to be given more help that they actually need to be given instead of pushed to the
9:10 pm
side because the doctor thinks they are well. and i don't -- i don't know. >> we've got some more from antoinette tuff. she talks about this. >> he said he should have went to the mental hospital instaed of doing this because he's not on his medication. >> you see, tim, i don't want to try and justify what your brother did. i don't really excuse it. i think it's inexcusable and unjustified. but when i talk to you, there's a pattern of behavior here and of mental illness of constant failure by people to correctly identify what his problems are and deal with it, both from law enforcement, from mental health institutio institutions, from anyone. as a family did you feel in the end there was nothing else to do, that it was a helpless situation for you? >> towards the end before i stopped really talking to him, i felt hopeless at helping him.
9:11 pm
i tried many times growing up as a teenager to sit him down and talk to him, be like hey, look, if you just do this and that and the other, things might be easier on you. you probably won't be getting in as much trouble, but it's like he would listen and then a week or two later, he would be back out of the house. >> have you tried to talk to him since this happened? >> the shooting? >> yeah. >> no, sir, i'm not allowed to. >> do you want to? >> right now i'm honestly not sure. after this, i just want to collect my thoughts. >> he has no parents. he only has really i guess you as family and your other siblings. what do you think willappen to him? >> i couldn't tell you. i really couldn't. >> tim hill, it's been fascinating talking to you. i'm very sorry for what happened to you and your family.
9:12 pm
it's an awful situation for everyone involved, and sounds like he was an accident waiting to happen like adam lanza in new town and opt thers. i just wish somebody had done something more to do something about it. >> it's like every time something like this happens, like you said, it's always the white people that are doing it, but in every case there's always a race card thrown out there, and it's ridiculous how somebody is so quick to jump to it being racial or people bringing -- saying stuff they have no clue about or people climbing to be other people's mothers like has happened here recently. it's -- the system just needs to listen more, especially like how when my stepfather straight up
9:13 pm
told the -- i couldn't tell you if it was the district attorney or if it was a judge, but they -- he straight up said to him, is it going to take him killing somebody before you finally give him the help he needs? >> and nothing happened? >> nothing. >> finally, what would you say to antoinette tuff because she was a hero in her actions. she seemed to have a connection to your brother, which in the end talked him off the ledge in a sense. what would you say to her? >> thank you. i would also like to say i'm not -- i don't think he would have honestly harmed her or any of the kids. i don't think he was there to do that. he's always had a problem with the cops. >> his -- yeah, that seemed to be what he was threatening to do was to shoot policemen. what more do we know about antoinette tuff, the hero.
9:14 pm
over 20 million drivers are insured with geico. so get a free rate quote today. i love it! how much do you love it? animation is hot...and i think it makes geico's 20 million drivers message very compelling, very compelling. this is some really strong stuff! so you turned me into a cartoon...lovely. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. plays a key role throughout our lives. one a day women's 50+ is a complete multivitamin
9:15 pm
designed for women's health concerns as we age. with 7 antioxidants to support cell health. one a day women's 50+.
9:16 pm
little carrot. little bit of hummus. lonely wing... well we have got the perfect match for you. of course you can't beat the classics. delish... sabra hummus. dip life to the fullest.
9:17 pm
it was the best voice that i could ever hear, couldn't have a better leader in place at this time. i appreciate you, too, i learned from the best, the best president in the world. no, that's me. you can't get any better when you got a great leader in front of you. >> what did he say to you? >> he just wanted to let me know that him and his wife and his family was very proud of what i did and everybody wanted to thank me. >> president obama calling hero bookkeeper antoinette tuff to offer his thanks on behalf of just about everyone in america and app emotional reunion with
9:18 pm
the 911 operator that helped her through her ordeal. joining me now, three guests. welcome to both of you. i want to come to antoinette who is a hero. let me start with you, police, chief, i wonder what your reaction was to that interview of the brother of the alleged shooter because he built a picture, a pretty terrifying picture of someone multiple times trying to commit suicide, multiple p times going into mental institutions, reported to the police at least a dozen times. nothing was ever done and it built and built to this incident. what did you think of it? >> well, certainly, it's a very troubling statements that his brother indicated to us here on television. this is a young man that clearly has had some real serious clinical issues in his past, and not making any attempt to try to
9:19 pm
assess him in any type of way, but just based on his brother's statements, just based on what occurred that particular day, and based on the fact that he made threats towards police and he took shots at police on this day, as well, too, is just clearly very suggestive to us and, i think to most people, that his troubled past brought him to this day but fortunately, for everyone it ended well. >> it did end well. let me come to you dr. bolden, if i may, about antoinette, who is a real hero in anyone's book. what did you think about her actions, partake alreadily when you heard the 911 call which really has inspired everybody? >> what we have seen in the last few days is what i get to see every day as principal. she's a phenomenal individual. she's a natural leader. she has the ability to connect with the heart of just a variety of individuals, and she really
9:20 pm
has the last name tuff because she's in fact tough and i want to make sure everyone is aware the events that took place and events that happened are nothing short of a miracle. we turned that the miracle of 2nd avenue because she was in position the day before i changed the lunch schedule because we had two new staff members to report and the time he changed the lunch schedule was geared to having her in a position where she could deal with the check outs of students. so she was actually put in that position the day before, and i would like to just commend all of my staff for the work they did with the preparation because in situations like this, you have to have a plan of action in place to enas you were the safety and security of all of our students, and that is my comment the to our parents and community and as principals, we have that charge that our responsibility is to deliver our students safely every
9:21 pm
opportunity we have. >> let's take a look at another clip from her interview. quite remarkable interview. she's an extraordinary woman i got to say, regardless of her actions this week. this is where she got very emotional talking about being late and revealing she herself had just been told some awful news. >> i got there late because i was actually, you know, meant -- the news that i got was devastating, and i know god had me to be late to get that news and to put all that aside that i just got to be able to help that young man. >> dr. bolden, do you have any idea what her news was that was so devastating? >> not at all and she has the ability to absorb issues that impact her life, and it never perfects -- never inhibits her
9:22 pm
ability to be professional and do what she needs to do. i did not talk with her about that particular situation. but i know she has the ability to separate those personal issues from her professional issues, and she was able to put herself in the appropriate state of mind to really connect with the heart of that individual to have him to deescalate his motives and again, she has that ability. that's a gift that she has. >> yeah, i mean, clearly drawing on her own pretty troubled life herself as she was so painfully honest about during that 911 call. let me come back to you, if i may, chief alexander, in terms of the way that she conducted herself, it seemed like an absolutely perfect template of how to negotiate. what do you think of it? >> it's something to be learned certainly from the actions that she took that day. what came across very clear to all of us, she was calm. she maintained her composure.
9:23 pm
she stayed focused on him. she was able to empathize with where he was at this particular moment and time in his life and she also shared some of her own experiences, too, and what that allowed to do, it created an environment for him where he begin to feel safe, it calmed him down and it also probably unbeknowing to her, kept her very calm as well, too. because if you remember from one part of her tape, she even states that inside i was certainly very freightened of what was going on, paraphrasing what she's stating but she was clearly very frightened here. but her being able to connect with him was crucial. it saved lives and she's really just an extraordinary individual and a true hero that we have to respect today, yeah. >> there were a couple of issues, chief alexander. i want to touch on the guns part of this. one is that some people react to
9:24 pm
all these incidents in schools whether it's at sandy hook where an atrocity took place or here where it was avoided and say teachers should be armed. what is your quick reaction to that? >> i think the thing -- we got to think that through a lot more in this country in terms whether teachers should be armed or not. what we have to do today is we have to make sure that we continue to train faculty, continue to train police, continue to train community, so that when these type of events do occur, there is some preparation, there is something that we can go to. i'm going to tell you on this particular day, that faculty and staff in that school did what they were trained to do and so did the principal and that played a real significant part in the day being a good day even though it started out bad. so there is a lot more conversation in this country that has to take place around
9:25 pm
gun control and where the guns should be particularly when we start about arming teachers inside school. there is a lot more conversation that has to take place. >> dr. bold ton wrap up with you and quickly, if you don't mind, i take on board what the police chief said there you were a hero and your staff. would you like to see your teachers armed? >> that's a question that's always been debatable. i would like to commend chief alexander, let me share this. that's a phenomenal leader, and when i stepped in i asked who is in charge at this point and that's a leaders's leader. when i saw the look of intensity in his eyes, i knew we were in the best possible hands. his staff, they were so well-poised and trained and it took the -- the, you know, the train off of me as the leader of that school i could relinkish the authority to his team. with leaders like this in place, i think we're in pretty good
9:26 pm
hands. we in pretty good hands with his leadership, team and those great things that we have that we can work within the system and all of the other additional support staff that we have, just his leadership was phenomenal and it gives principals in dekalb and across the country hope. >> well, dr. bolden and police chief alexander, thank you for joining me. >> thank you. >> you contributed heroically to a successful resolution and we appreciate that. the thrill kill murder in oklahoma. detames about the suspects and questions about race in this shocking crime. million tweeters are tweeting. and 900 million dollars are changing hands online. that's why hp built a new kind of server. one that's 80% smaller. uses 89% less energy. and costs 77% less. it's called hp moonshot. and it's giving the internet the room it needs to grow. this&is gonna be big. hp moonshot. it's time to build a better enterprise. together.
9:27 pm
9:28 pm
9:29 pm
9:30 pm
the outrage continues over the alleged thrill kill murder of christopher lane gunned down police say because the suspects were simply bored. there are details that one of the accused posted images online showing him posing with guns and money. glen beck says race is a factor in how it's being reported. >> there is something missing here. can you tell me what that is? can you tell me what that is? is missing in this story? >> they do it every time. >> every time. >> so you almost are guaranteed that if the race isn't mentioned in a story like this, it's because they are black. >> with me know charles blow "the new york times" columnist and ben ferguson. welcome to both of you. ben ferguson, let me start with you. what is the issue here? is it because two of the three alleged killers here were black, therefore it must be a race
9:31 pm
crime? >> we found from some of these tweets which was that he said he didn't like white people and he was planning on going out and killing people and that would be what many would say is a hate crime. if we have hate crime legislation then it should be used appropriately when someone goes out to kill someone of another race becaused on their race and at least for one of these young men, there was a motivation there through his own words, not through speculation, that he did not like anyone that was white, and we see this also happen with a lot of gang initiations in this country, where a lot of gang members who happen to be of one race will go out and purposely attack someone of another race -- >> hang on, hang on -- hang on, ben. you're missing one key ingredient, one of the three was white. so how does that work with your this is a one -- >> i just said -- i just said -- >> one of the gang -- >> at least one --
9:32 pm
>> [ overlapping speakers ] >> right, but is there actual evidence that he set out deliberately to kill a white person? >> i think there is a lot of evidence if you look at what he said in his own words online -- >> i've not seen anything that says that. >> you should look at it because it said he doesn't like white people and they are creepy. that's one -- >> i've read it. what i haven't read is the inference you're putting on this that he set out to deliberately kill a white person because that's not what it says. charles blow, let me bring you in here. the argument glen beck and others put forward but the media deliberately under played this story which is ridiculous because we led on it the night it happened but under played it simply because he was white and two of the killers, alleged killers were black. what is your position? >> the idea the media does not include people like glen beck is
9:33 pm
ridiculous. we get caught up in the idea the media is separate and apart from people in persuasion. i have heard quite a bit about this story. i think most people are saddened by this story, that people, you know, that we are -- our hearts go out to the young man who was killed, his family and loved ones and -- but i think when you, you know, when we try to figure out what is in a person's state of mind at the point that a crime is -- happens, it gets trickty because we don't know. what we know about bias is that it is not always constant, and it has to be present at the time of the crime. and what we'll have to do is to see when we go to trial if they can assess whether or not the bias was present at the time of the crime. it does not bode well, i will agree, however, that he is -- that at least one of the people who is suspected of committing
9:34 pm
this crime has articulated that he has these sorts of bias. that is a -- that is -- >> right, see, ben ferguson, here is the point i would make. ben, let me say to you, if it turns out there is concrete evidence that one or two of the black suspects here deliberately targeted a young white man to assassinate, then i will be the first to say this is absolutely disguesting and outrageous, as i've been saying since i first heard about this case anyway. i don't understand why there has to be this sort of ludicrous media squabbling -- obviously we're outraged by it. >> late me say this, piers, the prime example of what i'm talking about where there is a double standard when we deal with issues of race is how much caution we just showed towards these young men but we did not show towards george zimmerman when there was a circumstances where there was an alter case.
9:35 pm
this was just absolute cold-blooded vicious, evil murder, but when there was another situation with an altercation, none of this -- >> ben, agree with you -- >> it wasn't there with that case and that is the double standard when there are two different races and two crimes committed by two different races. >> i think -- >> i don't agree -- i think there is universal outrage. [ overlapping speakers ] >> i'm also outraged. this is george zimmerman today, down in the gun store after new guns. he has a tactical shotgun. there he is smiling away. >> he's a free -- >> i don't know about you -- >> hold on. >> wait a minute, ben ferguson. wait a minute, ben. let charles blow have the first say. charles blow, i find this offensive. i don't want to see george zimmerman smiling in a gun store as he's preparing to buy more guns. >> right, well first, i want to go back and say i think trying to draw direct parallels between the trayvon martin case and this
9:36 pm
case is actually a disgusting kind of tactic to take. i think those are two separate cases with two different sets of circumstances. this particular case shows us how the system of justice is actually supposed to work and how people thought that it would have worked in the trayvon martin case, as well that something really horrible happens, and we figure out who did it, and we immediately take those people into custody, and we've -- on tuesday they had a charge. you set a court date and you say that we're going to let the justice system figure out what the facts are. that is not what happened in the trayvon martin case. it is a very -- >> the justice -- >> i'm sorry, i let you speak. no, i will not give the time. i let you speak. what i'm telling you is these are very different cases and what -- if the trayvon martin situation had actually happened in the same way that this case happened, you would have had no
9:37 pm
outrage, but the fact that they are so different -- >> but it didn't happen that way. >> what didn't happen? >> i have to respond, okay? >> please do. >> if you look at the differences in these two cases where you have a very selective memory because you think george zimmerman is guilty still even though a jury of his peers found him innocent and you don't want to treat him as a freeman -- >> you know what i think? >> let me finish. >> you can't tell me what i think? >> i'm going to finish the same way -- all right. now let me finish. >> go for it. tell the truth. >> there was a justice system. you just didn't like how it worked. >> you do you know that? >> you didn't like the outcome they didn't charge him with a crime so therefore you decided as an american who wasn't there that night, who didn't investigate it that you would be against george zimmerman, even though there was, in fact, people that were doing their job. you just didn't like how they did their job. >> no. >> there is a difference -- >> you are not in oklahoma. you were not in oklahoma and
9:38 pm
making a judgment who is in the minds of people there and you absolutely do not know that. the fact you're being a hypocrite about this is outrageous -- >> i -- >> [ overlapping speakers ] >> gentlemen, i have to end it there. what i would say, though, is surely the common theme surely is in both cases we don't actually know for sure either way if there was any racial intent. >> piers, i'm glad you had -- >> as always, gentlemen, good to talk to both of you. coming up next, how is hanna anderson doing after her ordeal? i'll talk to her grandfather and two aunts. that's next. [off screen] give me a kiss! [speaking mandarin] what do you think? do you like it? [off screen] happy birthday!
9:39 pm
can you see that? [speaking polish] [off screen] did he apologize? [off screen] thanks, micah! [off screen] bye, guys. bye. see ya. oh my god! every day, more people connect face to face on the iphone than any other phone. i miss you. what areow! that hurt!k there? no, no, no, no. you can't go to school like this, c'mon. don't do it! no! (mom vo) you never know what life's gonna throw at you. if i gotta wear clothes, you gotta wear clothes. (mom vo) that's why i got a subaru. i just pulled up. he did what now? no he's never done that before! oh really? i might have some clothes in the car. (announcer) love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru.
9:40 pm
9:41 pm
9:42 pm
the phone calls weren't phone calls. they were texts because he was picking me up from cheer camp, and he didn't know address or what -- like where i was, so i had to tell him address and tell him that i was going to be in the gym so he knew where to get me. >> hanna anderson on the today show speaking out for the first time since her kidnapping. the 16-year-old sees herself as a survivor, not a victim. joining me now for an exclusive interview and her grandfather christopher who is on the phone. welcome to all of you and let me say at the very start of this interview how terribly sorry i
9:43 pm
am about the awful loss of christina and your little eno h nephew, as well. christopher, you're on the phone. you're the grandfather in this. you're hanna's ground father. you were christina's father obviously and you suffered this loss. how are you coping as a family? >> well, it's very hard. i don't feel it's really sunk in yet until maybe after the funeral. it just seems like a bad dream, but it's hitting, but gradually more and more every day, so that's -- it hard. >> you've spoken christopher, with hanna and i believe brett her father this week. how are they coping you think after this appalling ordeal? >> well, hanna is trying to be strong because that's what she could do for her mother and that's the way her mother kind of raised her to be strong like
9:44 pm
she was. so they are coping the best they can, even though they are in pain, you know, she's doing these interviews because she has to release. she's a 16-year-old child. >> let's take a listen to what hanna had to say about her mother christina and brother ethan on the today show. >> he had a really big heart, and she was strong-hearted and very tough. she knew how to handle things. >> samantha, you're hanna's aunt. obviously a dreadful, dreadful time for your family. she shows remarkable spirit, doesn't she, and courage, i think, hanna in the way she's trying to deal with this. >> yeah, her mom always taught her to be strong through everything, and that's what she's doing for her.
9:45 pm
>> did you know this man, james dimaggio, the kidnapper and the man we believe is responsible for killing christina and ethan? >> i've met him a couple times but i didn't really know him. >> can you quite believe what has happened here and do you fully understand yet what has happened here? >> i don't think it's actually set in. it's still something that's surreal and still kind of like a dream. >> andrea, obviously, very emotional for all of you and perfectly understandable that should be the case. this man, jim dimaggio, he appears to have committed double-murder, kidnapped hanna and yet, he was so close to the family, to that part of the family. what do you think has been behind all this? >> you know, i have no idea exactly what he had been
9:46 pm
thinking. it was just -- he had to have been just losing it. >> christopher, there are suggestions that christina may have had some kind of relationship with james dimaggio. do you believe that could possibly be true? >> absolutely not. >> why do you think those rumors have been circulating? >> i believe it is his sister starting these rumors because of this insurance thing. you know, i don't understand why she's doing it, but i know the only reason is probably the money involved. because from what i understand she wouldn't even do interviews unless she collected $10,000. >> samantha, the funeral is on saturday. it's going to be very difficult, i'm sure, for all of you. how are you all going to deal
9:47 pm
with that do you think? >> i'm not quite sure yet. i think it's something i'm just going to have to deal with when it comes. >> do it as a family. >> yeah. >> i'm so sorry to all of you for what has happened. it's just utterly devastating and i'm very grateful to you-all for coming on the show tonight and give us insight into this awful, awful tragedy. thank you-all very much, indeed. >> thank you. joining me now is dimaggio family spokesman andrew. it's hard talking to family members here. clearly they feel angry about the rumors scirculating about a possible relationship about james dimaggio and christina who died and they are trying to lay blame at laura, james' sister for going after the money and life insurance. what is your reaction to that?
9:48 pm
>> first of all, i think they are going through the natural process of grief and as i've been saying all along, at some point there will be a need for the family to understand what motivated jim to do these atroes shows acts. laura denied she's after the money. in fact, as i said on the show last time she spoke directly to brett, the father, brett anderson and said that she was not going to contest the money going to him or -- i'm sorry, actually his mother, that jim intended that to go to the children, both children. so i don't know why they are saying she's after money. she hasn't gotten paid to do any interview. she's scared for her life at this point and getting harassed by the media and hate mail, as have i. that isn't really part of this story, as far as i'm concerned. >> are you able to shed any more light on these wild rumors about some relationship between james dimaggio and christina, hanna's mother. >> the original stories came to laura from neighbors in the area
9:49 pm
that they had believe that jim had possibly had a relationship with her, and that's where, you know, she got all worried and scared and confused and she's going through the same grieving process as they are. she's a victim in this, as well. not only did she know everyone, but she's lost her only remaining family member. so as beyond the perpetrator's side it's awful and difficult to get sympathy. she's dealing with her own mental health issues regarding the trama and abuse they suffered as children so it's a tough time for her. >> it's tough for everybody involved in this awful case. andrew, thanks for joining me. >> thank you. what a crazy summer. one candidate for mayor of new york city. i'll ask the world's angriest man foaming at the mouth, lewis black. he's neck. looks to be furious. go on, look angry.
9:50 pm
ouncer ] we'll be with her all day to see how it goes. [ claira ] after the deliveries, i was okay. now the ciabatta is done and the pain is starting again. more pills? seriously? seriously. [ groans ] all these stops to take more pills can be a pain. can i get my aleve back? ♪ for my pain, i want my aleve. [ male announcer ] look for the easy-open red arthritis cap. a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic.
9:51 pm
you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, like celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions, or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. don't take celebrex if you have bleeding in the stomach or intestine, or had an asthma attack, hives, other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion.
9:52 pm
the physical damage was pretty bad. the emotional toll was even worse. our daughter had nightmares. what that robber really took from us was our peace of mind. with adt, we got it back. [ male announcer ] every 14.6 seconds, a burglary takes place in the united states. so rely on the fast alarm response of adt. a single adt system can help protect you from burglary, fire, and high levels of carbon monoxide. when an alarm is received, adt calls the local authorities for help. and you can get this monitored protection,
9:53 pm
plus great local service, starting for just over $1 a day. and only adt offers a theft protection guarantee. take it from me. the time to think about a security system isn't after something bad happens -- it's before. [ male announcer ] call now and get adt installed for just $99. you could save a lot more than money. hurry, and take advantage of these savings. adt. always there. lewis black never holds back, especially when he's here with me. he's the world's angriest man. welcome back, lewis. how are you? you look furious. >> no, it's always nice to be here without you, because i'm moments away -- i just cut a deal in the back room. i actually am not going to take as much money as you do, and i'm cutting out any health care benefits, and i got the gig. >> well, you're not worth as
9:54 pm
much money. let's move on to the winners and losers of this summer. it's been a crazy roller coaster ride. who have you got emerging as winners of the summer? >> wendy davis, who was the woman who did the filibuster in texas. >> yeah. >> basically she lost in the end, but by losing she won, because it's -- not since really -- you really get to see that kind of jimmy stewart, you know, mr. smith goes to washington moment. >> i'm with you on that. who else? >> that's astonishing, isn't it? somebody mixes together the heaviest breakfast food with the world's other heaviest breakfast
9:55 pm
food. how does it take so long to figure it out? >> what about the royal baby, are you a big fan? was the royal baby a winer? >> the royal baby is a winner in the sense the royal baby got more focus from the american people than anything else in the last year. they were more focused on this baby, for reasons that escape me. i think the baby in tend is the loser, because i really wouldn't want to be part of the royal family. that's got to be an exhausting thing. you have to stand up straight all the time. it's ridiculous. >> let's go quick think through your three losers of the summer. >> weiner, filner and the american people. weiner obviously because he's -- what kind of -- first off, you go away for a while. who told him outside of his wife and himself to run again? you go away. you go away, you go away, and
9:56 pm
when he comes back oh, yeah, that weiner guy. but he didn't go away. >> i think the answer, lewis, it was a load of women he never met on twitter urging him to run again. >> but spitzer didn't have a problem. isn't that something? he made the transition, because i think everybody thought who is going to sleep with this guy except for hookers? >> filner i think i completely agree. he's gone so we're done with him. you didn't mention a-rod. a-rod with snowden. >> a-rod is really good to make sure that children are becoming ambivalent about sports, so they can watch and go, wow, i need him to hit a home run, but he's done steroids and he's kind of creepy. then you've got snowden, who is bizarre. he's got to be a loser in a sense, because you leave hawaii
9:57 pm
and a stripper and a an actual pole in the house. who's got that? then he lives in russia where hi family is friend initially. i wouldn't go back there. >> lewis, i've got to leave it there. we need to bring you back next week. we'll talk to you again soon. >> i'm on vacation. i'm a winner. >> excellent. thanks as always to lewis black. that's all for us tonight. anderson cooper starts in a few moments. hey kevin...still eating chalk for heartburn?
9:58 pm
yeah... try new alka seltzer fruit chews. they work fast on heartburn and taste awesome. these are good. told ya! i'm feeling better already. [ male announcer ] new alka seltzer fruits chews. enjoy the relief! [ male announcer ] new alka seltzer fruits chews. every day we're working to and to keep our commitments. and we've made a big commitment to america. bp supports nearly 250,000 jobs here. through all of our energy operations, we invest more in the u.s. than any other place in the world. in fact, we've invested over $55 billion here in the last five years - making bp america's largest energy investor. our commitment has never been stronger.
9:59 pm
little carrot. little bit of hummus. lonely wing... well we have got the perfect match for you. of course you can't beat the classics. delish... sabra hummus. dip life to the fullest.
left
right

24 Views

disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on